Essentials for Your Child’s Success
Daily attendance in school and daily study is essential for your child’s success!
- Talk to your child about school.
- Know your child’s program – the classes he/she takes and the teachers’ names.
- Check to see that your child brings his/her books to and from school every day.
- Check your child’s notebook to see that there is class work and homework every day for every class listed on his/her program.
- Ask to see exams.
- Check your child’s report cards for grades and attendance.
- Watch for mail from school (make sure your address and telephone number are correct in the Attendance Office!)
- Call your child’s Guidance Counselor if you suspect a problem.
- Come to Fall (October) and Spring (March) Parent Teacher Conferences to speak with your child’s teachers.
- Know your school calendar.
- Avoid keeping your child at home for these reasons:
- Family vacations
- Wait for a delivery or workman
- Take care of younger children
- Work in a family business
- Do housework
- Run an errand
- Act as an interpreter
- Avoid keeping your child home because of bad weather. If school is open, your child should be here.
- Avoid allowing your child to stay home unless he/she is really too sick to come to school.
- Avoid extended family vacations or prolonged visits outside the country.
- Schedule all medical appointments after school and on weekends.