Summer High School Internship
The Summer High School Internship is a hands-on experience that pairs students with Assistant District Attorneys, offering an insider’s view of the inner workingof one of the largest DA’s offices in the country. Selected students will be assigned to one of the many specialized units within the DA’s office and will support the work of Assistant District Attorneys and other members of the DA’sstaff. The program is open to qualifying sophomores, juniors and seniors wholive and/or attend school in Brooklyn. Applicants must be able to commit to the entire duration of the internship, which will run from July 8, 2019 through August 9, 2019, from 9am-4pm, Monday through Thursday, and 9am-12pm onFriday. Students will receive a weekly $150 stipend and a MetroCard.
- Assist with legal research and analysis utilizing various sources such as the internet, news articles, and legal periodicals.
- Provide assistance to attorneys and support staff at various phases of a matter including pretrial, conference and/or trial.
- Perform a variety of paralegal and/or clerical functions, as required.
- Assist attorneys with case preparation, discovery, file maintenance and organization of court documents.
- Participate in judicial, legal and law enforcement observational fieldtrips.
- Observe criminal trials and defendants during sentencing in court.
- Applicants must live in and/or attend school in Brooklyn.
- Applicants must be a high school sophomore, junior, or rising senior.
- Applicants must be able to commit to the entire duration of the internship: July 8th through August 9th. Hours are Monday through Thursday 9am-4pm and Friday 9am-12pm
***Please Note: Items 1-3 must be prepared and ready for upload before starting the online application. Applications cannot be saved.
1. Most recent high school transcript
2. Updated resume
3. A 300 word "Statement of Interest" which must be typed (12 pt. font and double-spaced) and addresses the following: “Why are you interested in interning with the Brooklyn District Attorney’s Office and what impact do you think it will have on your future career goals and aspirations"”
4. One (1) letter of recommendation from a teacher, coach or mentor, etc. Recommendation letters must include student’s first and last name and all recommendations must be submitted email@example.com. Subject line must include the student’s first and last name.
ApplicationDeadline: March 25, 2019